- No products in the cart.
BEST SELLING PRODUCTS
Microwaves are a great way to quickly and evenly heat foods and beverages. However, if your microwave won’t heat up, it could have a number of issues that require a technician to fix.
First, ensure that the power cable is firmly plugged into an electrical outlet. You should also check that it’s the right type (120v and 3-prong unless stated otherwise).
The magnetron is the main electrical device in your microwave that uses high voltage to generate microwave frequencies that heat your food. Over time, this part can begin to fail and result in a microwave not heating up.
This is caused by a number of factors, including long-term use and bad electrical voltages. In either case, a broken magnetron should be replaced.
It is important to test the magnetron before you do any other repairs on your microwave. This is because a broken magnetron can blow a fuse, which will then cause other components to stop working as well.
To test the magnetron, you can remove the wires and connect a multimeter to it to check its output voltage. If it displays a reistance of around 2-3 ohms, then you know that the magnetron is faulty and will need to be replaced.
The door switch on your microwave is a safety mechanism that prevents your appliance from operating when the door is open. A faulty door switch may prevent the microwave from starting or turning off and can trigger the Error Code Open/Close Door.
A faulty door switch can also prevent your microwave from heating properly. This can be especially problematic in older appliances, as these models often have a push-release door switch that's prone to failure over time.
If you think your microwave has a faulty door switch, the first step is to test it using a multimeter. A multimeter is a handheld device that allows you to test electrical currents.
A faulty door switch will have wires attached to terminals marked common (C) and normally open (NO). Clip one probe on the COM terminal, then place the other on NC and test for continuity. If there is no continuity, replace the switch.
If you hear a loud humming sound coming from your microwave but no heat is produced when you start the cook cycle, it could be a sign that one of the diodes in the high voltage transformer has shorted out. This means the diode is no longer able to deliver enough voltage to the magnetron, preventing the oven from heating up.
The best way to diagnose this problem is to use a multimeter. Touch both the positive and negative terminals on the diode with the meter's probes and see if you get a reading that indicates continuity.
If the meter shows no continuity on both sides, then the diode is shorted and needs to be replaced. You can also test for polarity, which will tell you whether the diode is on the positive or negative side of the capacitor.
If your Maytag microwave won't heat up, it could be caused by a faulty main control board. This is a small circuit board that regulates the high-voltage system in your appliance, including the magnetron and the diode that converts electricity into heat for your food.
If this is the case, it will be necessary to call a professional to have the board replaced. Otherwise, the microwave will continue to store electrical energy in its capacitors and you might get an electric shock.
This can happen because of a blown fuse or other electrical issue with the control panel, door switch, or high voltage components. In addition, a tripped thermoprotector or high voltage transformer can also prevent your microwave from heating.
To troubleshoot this problem, you should unplug the microwave and check if it's receiving sufficient power. You should also make sure the power cable is attached firmly to the outlet.